[Histonet] Re: What is 10% Buffered Formalin Acetate

Johnson, Teri TJJ <@t> stowers.org
Thu Jul 28 15:10:23 CDT 2011

Jennifer, the only reason I am aware of using acetate over phosphate buffering would be to minimize the precipitation that happens when phosphate buffered formalin contacts alcohol concentrations greater than 70%. It is why some automated tissue processors have a warm water flush step. The two fixes to this issue I have heard are:

1 - use 70% alcohol or lower in the step following the last fixative or
2 - use sodium acetate buffered formalin instead

That's my wild guess for the day. I bet if you ask the investigator, the answer is nowhere close to this. <grin>

Teri Johnson, HT(ASCP)QIHC
Head, Histology and Electron Microscopy
Stowers Institute for Medical Research
Kansas City, MO