[Histonet] fixation question for IHC

Sherwood, Margaret MSHERWOOD <@t> PARTNERS.ORG
Mon Jan 31 08:52:11 CST 2011

I routinely freeze Karnovsky's fixative (paraformaldehyde and glutaraldehyde
mix) in small aliquots.  When you thaw, just vigorously shake to make sure all
is in solution.  Have had no problems with fixation.

Peggy

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Margaret Blount
Sent: Monday, January 31, 2011 4:01 AM
To: Jan Berry; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] fixation question for IHC

It is possible to freeze paraformaldehyde in aliquots, so you don't have
to keep on making it up repeatedly as we did in the old days. I have
also seen that you can buy Pure formaldehyde, but I don't remember who
the supplier was. It was in sealed ampoules and was 16% so you could
dilute it in your preferred buffer. I have to say that this was about 10
years ago!

Margaret

Miss Margaret Blount
Histology Manager