[Histonet] glass cleaner

Akemi Allison akemiat3377 <@t> yahoo.com
Wed Jan 26 14:15:29 CST 2011

HISTOLOGY

UNIVERSAL WASHING INSTRUCTIONS FOR GLASSWARE

Alternative to Acid Cleaning Glassware

5% Clorox is a very inexpensive and readily available chemical
treatment solution, which is an alternative to acid cleaning.  All
glassware used for special stains MUST be cleaned in the following
manner.  This method MUST be used when using glassware for special
stains sensitive to metal, such as FE, GMS, Retic, Jones, Dieterle,
Steiner and Warthin-Starry.
1.            Make fresh each morning a 5% Clorox solution containing
1/2 Tbsp. per 5 gallons. of Liqui-Nox.

2.            Soak all glassware in this solution for a minimum of 30
minutes to remove any stains, and then scrub with brush until all
residue is removed.

3.            For hard to get out stains, soak in a stronger solution
of Clorox.

4.            Rinse with copious amounts of tap water, followed by
several changes of deionized water.  All traces of Clorox must be
removed.
5.            Place glassware on drying rack or upside down to dry
thoroughly.

6.            Use caution that NO metal instruments touch glassware.
This will contaminate certain solutions, which must be free of any
metal, such as Iron and Silver Stains.

7.            After glassware is dry, put parafilm or gauze around
top so no airborne contaminate may enter.
8.            Put glassware away.

Akemi Allison BS, HT (ASCP) HTL
Director
Phoenix Lab Consulting