[Histonet] Whole mount histology

Gagnon, Eric gagnone <@t> KGH.KARI.NET
Mon Jan 17 11:59:32 CST 2011

Hi Dorothy,

I concur with what Rene has mentioned.  Main cost would be microtome-related, if you don't have microtomes that can handle mega cassettes.  Other process-related costs i.e. fixation, tech time, supplies wouldn't be much different once process was optimized.  In fact, tech time is likely reduced, as it may be quicker (depending on the tech) to cut 4-6 mega blocks than 18-24 regular blocks.

You'll also have to stain and coverslip the slides creatively, as they may not fit on your stainer.  Our pathologists did many cases, but eventually went with regular cassettes and processing.  It's a nice procedure to have available.

Email me if you need more information i.e. specifics on supplies/process.

Eric Gagnon MLT
Histology Laboratory
Kingston General Hospital
Kingston, Ontario, Canada