[Histonet] Eosinophilic new bone formation

Jack Ratliff ratliffjack <@t> hotmail.com
Fri Feb 18 08:37:36 CST 2011

In decalcified sections of bone, yes the osteoid or dense unmineralized collagen matrix (mostly type I) will stain darker than mature native demineralized bone. Even though the mature bone has been demineralized, it is still more densely compact as compared to the newly formed bone that has not begun mineralization and . In resin embedded undemineralized sections of bone, the contrast is exactly opposite when staining with Von Kossa and counterstaining with MacNeal's tetrachrome and similar to decalcified sections in a Goldner's trichrome where the acid fuchsin stains osteoid darker than the light green does the mineralized bone. So the answer is yes, tissue density is what plays the major role in contrast staining and stain intensity.

Jack