[Histonet] mouse skeletal muscle frozen section prep

Harvey, Jennifer Lynn jennifer.harvey <@t> Vanderbilt.Edu
Fri Feb 11 12:49:04 CST 2011

Talc is used to reduce ice artifact in muscle. We are a clinical lab and
receive muscles in various states. If the muscle is held in saline the
chance for ice artifact increases greatly. We treat all muscles with talc
just incase.
You don't have to use a plastic mold or even totally coat the sample with
OCT, freezing in liquid nitrogen is fine.
Usually you do not fix the tissue before freezing but some research
applications do. But one of the reasons to do frozens, is to avoid fixation.

Jennifer Harvey, HT(ASCP) QIHC
Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Neuropathology Lab Supervisor
C-2309 Medical Center North