[Histonet] Re: Clostridium difficile - what do you do

Bob Richmond rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 15:15:56 CST 2011

It's "difficile" rather than *difficilis because it's a third
declension singular neuter adjective, in apposition with
"Clostridium", a second declension neuter.

A reference to the Oxford-BBC Guide to Pronunciation suggests that my
pronunciation is the correct one in English. Every European language
has a "received pronunciation" of Latin, the English one being the
weirdest, of course. The English one is never taught - you pick it up
- I learned it from my mother.  John Kiernan mentions a "school" or
"classical" pronunciation - sometimes called "the Roman system" which
you use only when you're reading classical Latin out loud when you're
studying Latin.

http://www.linguism.co.uk/language/the-oxford-bbc-guide-to-pronunciation
"‘di-fiss-i-li’ [accent on "fiss" - there's a boldface in the
original] is good anglicized Latin, and easy enough to say."

The critical problem actually is where the accent on the word falls.

As my final authority I offer none other than Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart,
who wrote an exquisite motet on the German schoolboy joke "difficile
lectu michi mars". If you listen to this YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ps_JbyrN3zQ
you'll hear four syllables, with the accent on the second syllable
(you can read the music along with it in the YouTube). (The "c" is
pronounced "ts" or "ch" - I'm not sure which - because they're using a
German or Italian received pronunciation of Latin.) Here I think
"difficile" is an adverb modifying the participial verb "lectu" (in
reading). "Michi" (to me - spelt 'mihi' in classical Latin), "Mars"
(Mars, for "military matters" is the subject.

Now here's the schoolboy joke: "lectu michi Mars" sounds like German
"leck Du mich im Arsch", for which a cognate English translation would
be "lick thou me in [my] ass".

Which I guess gets us back to the customary habitat of Clostridium difficile.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist (and occasional lexicographer, Dr. Johnson's
harmless drudge)
Knoxville TN