[Histonet] b-cells stain

Lee & Peggy Wenk lpwenk <@t> sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 1 21:49:31 CST 2011

Acetaldehyde can be used instead of paraldehyde, to make aldehyde fuchsin.
Substitute 1.5 - 2.0 mL acetaldehyde for every 1.0 mL of paraldehyde.
Acetaldehyde is usually not a restricted drug, a whole lot cheaper than
acetaldehyde, and once opened, remains good for much longer than
paraldehyde, when stored in the refrigerator (at least 18 months instead for
the 2-3 months for paraldehyde). The aldehyde-fuchsin, once made, will only
be good for about 3-4 weeks, when stored in the refrig, regardless of
whether it was made with paraldehyde or acetaldehyde.

The source for the exchange was this article: Gabe, M. 1953. Sur quelques
applications de la coloration par la fuchsine-paraldehyde. Bull. Micros.
Appl. Ser. 2, 3: 153-162. One of my students, Yelena Mushkina, HTL(ASCP),
translated it from the French to her native Russian, and then from Russian
to English. Took a couple of dictionaries! I wrote this up in a Letter to
the Editor in the Dec. 1996 NSH Journal of Histotechnology "Acetaldehyde as
a Substitute for Paraldehyde". In case you need some references.

IHC is actually better for demonstrating beta cells - whether for pituitary
or for pancreas. Just something else to think about.

Peggy A. Wenk, HTL(ASCP)SLS
Beaumont Hospital
Royal Oak, MI 48073