[Histonet] potassium hydroxide/reprocessing for nails

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Thu Aug 11 10:59:22 CDT 2011

The nails should remain in 10% aq NaOH (or KOH) for half an hour at the most. Leaving them overnight will macerate them.
After that process as usual.René J.

--- On Thu, 8/11/11, John & Jen Campbell <jjcampbell14 <@t> att.net> wrote:

From: John & Jen Campbell <jjcampbell14 <@t> att.net>
Subject: [Histonet] potassium hydroxide/reprocessing for nails
To: "histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu" <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Date: Thursday, August 11, 2011, 11:49 AM

Hi all,
  I was told to use potassium hydroxide to soften an already processed nail I am removing the paraffin from the tissue right now (xylene, followed by EtOH). My questions are:
1)How long should the nail remain in KOH-test it periodically?
2) If I do not plan on reprocessing the tissue til tomorrow, can the nail remain in KOH overnight or shld I transfer it to a diff solution, and if so, what would that be.
3)  What times in each of the graded alcohols, xylenes and paraffin do u recommend for hand-reprocessing. I've done this before but do not recall the times for each.
Thank you so much in advance!
Jennifer