[Histonet] slide brite and coverslip drying time

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Wed Apr 13 14:51:07 CDT 2011

That is exactly one of the problems with Slide Brite, and is the "trade-off" you have to pay.
The alternative (although it may seem "odd") is to get away with alcohols and xylene altogether.
After staining the slides, wash them in distilled water, shake them well and place them in an over at 60ºC for 5 minutes. After drying apply the mounting medium more diluted (consistency of light mineral oil), and coverslip.
You will get away with alcohols, and xylene (or its substitutes).
Do not "frown", just try it!
René J.

--- On Wed, 4/13/11, Dawn Herron <dwenzel01 <@t> gmail.com> wrote:

From: Dawn Herron <dwenzel01 <@t> gmail.com>
Subject: [Histonet] slide brite and coverslip drying time
To: Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Date: Wednesday, April 13, 2011, 12:16 PM

Hello all. We have just made the transition from xylene in our linear
stainer to Slide Brite. We are also coverslipping from Slide Brite with
Permount. So far the slides look good (though we have to be careful about
water contamination in the dehydrating alcohols) but we are having a problem
with extremely long coverslipping drying time. Some of the slides have been
on the warmer for over 18 hours and you can still move the coverslips!
(Normally the slides would dry within 4 hours on the warmer with xylene and
acrymount) Any suggestions on how to speed drying time?

Thanks,
Dawn