[Histonet] FW: DAB

Cynthia Pyse cpyse <@t> x-celllab.com
Wed Sep 29 09:12:57 CDT 2010

From: Cynthia Pyse [mailto:cpyse <@t> x-celllab.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 3:48 PM
To: 'histonet-request <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu'
Subject: DAB

Hello Histonetters

I need some expert advice concerning the disposal of DAB. Our lab is in NYS
and there has been some discussion on the proper way to dispose of DAB.
I've done the research, and found household bleach is no longer acceptable.
There is the potassium permanganate treatment, the horseradish peroxidase
treatment, and also disposing of it the regulated medical waste that is
incinerated. What is everyone using? Does NYS have different standards than
other states or is this a federal regulation? If you dispose of the solution
is the RMW, how do you protect the techs when pouring the waste DAB from our
IHC waste container into bottles for disposal? If there is a spill can it be
cleaned up within the lab or does a Hazmat team need to be called. I want to
make sure we cover all our bases. I don't want any problems with NYS. Thank
you in advance for all your input.

Cindy Pyse, CLT, HT (ASCP)

Laboratory/Histology Supervisor

X-Cell Laboratories