[Histonet] Cassette Labeler

Feher, Stephen sfeher <@t> CMC-NH.ORG
Fri Sep 17 08:36:50 CDT 2010

Thermo has a relatively low cost labeler for smaller quantities of
cassette printing.

The cost of the labeler versus the cost and potential for errors (hand
writing) needs to be considered when making this kind of decision.  You
might want to do a study where you actually measure the time it takes to
label one cassette.  Make sure you start the clock from the time the
tech actually prepares to label the cassette until they are finished and
place the cassette down.  Multiply that times the number of cassettes.
Take that answer and multiply it times the tech salary plus benefits and
you get the actual cost of hand labeling the cassettes.

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
DianaRip1 <@t> aol.com
Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2010 8:45 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Cassette Labeler

I work in a small lab and process approx 150 cassettes a day.  We
currently use a chemical resistant pen that works great.  We write the
number on top and the patient initials  on the side.  We are considering
getting a cassette labeler.  Is it  really worth the expense for 150
blocks a day?  Is it possible to enter  information on the side of the
cassette?  Can you share some of your  experience with different ones
with me.