[Histonet] Xylene Substitute

Goins, Tresa TGoins <@t> mt.gov
Mon Oct 25 17:06:43 CDT 2010

We use Clear-Rite 3 (Richard Allan Scientific 6901) from Fisher Scientific in our VIP processor and for staining.  I am not familiar with Permount, but we use Richard-Allan Mounting Medium (4111; also available from Fisher Scientific) that is toluene based - works great in combination with Clear-Rite 3.

Tresa Goins
Veterinary Diagnostic Lab
Department of Livestock
Bozeman, Montana

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Sheila Haas
Sent: Monday, October 25, 2010 1:07 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Xylene Substitute

Hi all!
I'm looking for recommendations for a xylene substitute for our processing and
staining. We have two VIP's and a Leica stainer. We use Permount for
coverslipping (manually with glass). Does anyone use a xylene substitute
that you would recommend for this combination?
Thank you!

Sheila Haas
Laboratory Supervisor
MicroPath Laboratories, Inc.