[Histonet] Frozen sections

sgoebel <@t> xbiotech.com sgoebel <@t> xbiotech.com
Tue Oct 19 13:03:32 CDT 2010

Chatter can also be caused by your blade angle.  Try making the angle
more obtuse, just don't over do it or you will get venitian (sp?) blind.
 The temperature is also a little cold.  Try putting your thumb on the
chuck, on top of the tissue, for a few sections before cutting and see
if that helps any.  If the tissue is necrotic, it's kind of like
fat...not much you can do?
Good Luck!!

Sarah Goebel, B.A., HT (ASCP)
Histotechnician

XBiotech USA Inc.

8201 East Riverside Dr. Bldg 4 Suite 100

Austin, Texas  78744

(512)386-2907

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [Histonet] Frozen sections
From: Maria Katleba <Maria.Katleba <@t> stjoe.org>
Date: Tue, October 19, 2010 10:27 am
To: "histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu"

Question: When doing frozen section on a lung mass (not fatty- just
regular), and it chatters, what is the cause?

The cryostat was set at -26, we used the normal OCT media, and cut at
5microns.....

I prefer not so cold (like -23 to -24) and I cut sections at 4, 5 , and
even 6 to see if it would help... still chatter! The pathologist said it
looked all necrotic-like!!

Without knowing for sure if the tissue's morphology is due to its real
state (ie- full of cancer) or a cause of freezing artifact, I need some
help from any histotech that is a Frozen Section Guru :)

Maria Katleba MS HT(ASCP)
Pathology Dept. Mgr
Queen of the Valley Medical Center
1000 Trancas Street
Napa CA 94558
(707) 252-4411 x3689 direct
(707) 226-4385 pager
(707) 294-9229 cell- anytime

Notice from St. Joseph Health System:
Please note that the information contained in this message may be
privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure.