[Histonet] Labeling issues

Kuhnla, Melissa Melissa.Kuhnla <@t> chsli.org
Mon Oct 11 05:26:28 CDT 2010

As a patient safety issue. We have had local hospitals end up in the new
because of specimen mislabels. Very dangerous stuff.

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Carrie
Disbrow
Sent: Monday, October 11, 2010 12:47 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Labeling issues

Hi All,
 We are writing more numbers as the year goes..... S10-26,262 A1 - L1,
has a combination of 12 numbers and letters with a hyphen and comma.
Only three more numbers compared to the beginning of the year with
S10-126 A1 - L1 but the potential for more mistakes.   And what about
the ergonomic issues of hand writing hundreds of slides per shift? And
what about the stress of mislabeling that puts on the tech?  Anyone ever
done any serious studies in their labs to see when errors occur? How was
the need for bar coding presented to your institutions to convince the
department of the need for the equipment?
Carrie