[Histonet] cassette labelers

Robert Richmond rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 21:16:14 CDT 2010

 I'm advising a locum tenens client of mine about acquiring a cassette
labeler. The only one I'm familiar with is Thermo Scientific's
Cassette MicroWriter. Some questions for HistoNet:

1) A JCAHO inspector informed them that a cassette labeler will soon
be required. Does anyone know if this is in fact the case?

2) Will the labeler print patients' names, or other second identifiers
such as JCAHO now requires?

3) Are these labelers available in the used instrument market?

4) Is there any competition, or is the Thermo product all there is?

5) How well do these labelers withstand use?

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN