[Histonet] Bone IHC

Adam . anonwums1 <@t> gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 15:08:29 CDT 2010

I've been experimenting with different ways to solve this problem myself. I
fix my tissues in 10% zinc buffered formalin and decalcify in formic acid
for 72 hours, followed by embedding and cutting 5 uM sections.

>From trial and error, I've determined that incubating the slides flat on a
slide warmer at 37C (or in my case, the bottom of an unused bacterial
incubator) can prevent nearly all the detachment you observe but it's time
dependent. I think the problem is that the sections get small amounts of
water underneath them when you scoop them up off the water surface during
sectioning and during HIER, that water boils and shears off the slide.

If you leave the slides overnight, the slides were get destroyed during
HIER. However, if you leave them for a week, they tend to be nearly
untouched even at 95C for 10 mins. I'm currently in the process of
determining if a few days is enough time.

Adam