[Histonet] rapid h and e

Brandi Higgins brandihiggins <@t> gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 22:25:37 CST 2010

We used to do the similar to what Bill Tench described below.  However,
destaining and restaining with Pap caused loss of some of the cells and the
pathologists prefer the pap for these smears so we devised a Stat Pap
stain:  from alcohol, 50% alcohol, water, Gil's Hematoxylin for 1 min,
water, bluing, water, 50% alcohol, alcohol OG6 10 dips alcohol EA50 10 dips
alcohol, clearing agent, coverslip.  The pathologists have been really happy
with this, we've been using it for about 7 months no with no complaints
other than once they said stain was too dark, but smear was too thick in
some areas.  Hope this helps.

Brandi Higgins