[Histonet] possible AFB contaminant

BSullivan <@t> shorememorial.org BSullivan <@t> shorememorial.org
Fri May 21 05:48:40 CDT 2010

My first question would be what are you using for  a control? I know this
sounds strange but I have, in the past, had a problem with commercially
made ones. The AFB actually came away from the material and applied itself
to the patient slide. Crazy huh? This caused a real mess until we figured
it out and changed vendors. Also if you are doing them by hand you need to
filter after each use. Hope this helps. There is a definate difference in
appearance between a patient positive result and a loose organism. Hope
this helps.

Beatrice Sullivan, HT(A.S.C.P.) HTL , AAS, CLSP(N.C.A.)
AP Supervisor
Shore Memorial Hospital
609-653-3590

             <Debra.Ortiz <@t> ucho
             spitals.edu>
             histonet-bounces@         <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
             lists.utsouthwest                                          cc
             ern.edu
                                                                   Subject
                                       [Histonet] possible AFB contaminant
             05/20/2010 03:41
             PM

Please help, we have had an increase in demands for repeats on our AFB
stain. Our pathologists have been noticing what they believe are "false
positives" on our slides. We perform our AFBs on the Ventana Nexus and some
are done by hand. Because of this problem, we have been doing side by side
comparisons using the Nexus and hand stain.
We still have complaints. We have made new reagents, changed kits, tested
our DI water sytem and have different techs cutting using different
waterbaths.
Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Debi

This e-mail is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to
which
it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged and
confidential.
If the reader of this e-mail message is not the intended recipient, you are

communication is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error,
please
notify the sender and destroy all copies of the transmittal.

Thank you
University of Chicago Medical Center