[Histonet] Are Histotechs considered "exempt" employees?

Lee & Peggy Wenk lpwenk <@t> sbcglobal.net
Tue May 11 05:31:22 CDT 2010

Hospitals/labs can make any position exempt or non-exempt. That's up to
them.

However, I'd say you are being underpaid. According to the last ASCP
Wage/Salary survey (completed 2008, published 2009), the median range for
HTL was about $20 - $25 per hour, with the median average being $23.46/hour.
(ASCP is getting ready to do another survey in 2010, to be published in
2011.)

This is what the vacancy rate was in the 2008 survey:
"Histotechnicians (HT)/Histotechnologists (HTL): The vacancy rate for HTs
was 8.0%, among the highest vacancy rates reported across all of the
surveyed positions. Laboratories in the Far West and laboratories that
performed medium-volume testing reported very high vacancy rates, 21.0% and
33.8%, respectively. Private clinic/reference laboratories and hospitals
with 500+ beds had vacancy rates of 12.2% and 12.1%, respectively. The
vacancy rate for HT supervisors was 4.1%. Although subsample sizes for some
demographic groups were too small for meaningful statistical analysis,
vacancy rates for
HT Supervisors were notably higher among hospitals with 500+ beds (8.5%) and
laboratories in the East North Central region (24.7%). For HTLs, the vacancy
rate was 7.2%. Laboratories in the Far West reported a vacancy rate of
9.5%."

California is "Far West" in the survey.

http://www.ascp.org/pdf/Membership-Communications/Wage-and-Vacancy-Survey.as
px

Can you do a survey of other histology labs in your area of wage and vacancy
rates? Or have your Human Resources department do it?

Peggy A. Wenk, HTL(ASCP)SLS
Beaumont Hospital
Royal Oak, MI 48073