AW: [Histonet] Formalin fixation time for breast specimens

Gudrun Lang gu.lang <@t> gmx.at
Thu May 6 12:54:03 CDT 2010

I've read only the abstract and some infos regarding this article in the
internet.
This group used a short processing protocol (2:30), didn't they? I think
that hampers the comparability with standard overnight processing. And I
missed the longer fixation tests.
They mentioned, that Goldstein left the tissue in 100% cold ethanol before
processing. I assume, that ethanol-fixation is the cause for weaker staining
in underfixed areas.

How are the commonly known edge-effects in ER-staining with stronger
staining in the outer areas to explain, if not with insufficient fixation?

It could be possible, that the longer incubation with processing reagents
has effects on underfixed areas, that were not obvious in their experiment
because of the short processing.

Hm, I'm not convinced.
Gudrun