[Histonet] Re: How to troubleshoot a cytology slide with dehydration problems

IRENA SREBOTNIK KIRBIS irena.kirbis <@t> hotmail.com
Sat May 1 04:16:27 CDT 2010

Dear Valerie,
I can only agree that Papanicolaou stain is very tricky, having 20 yrs experiencies with it! looks very simple but you need to know some basic rules.
first of all the slides should be hydrated at the beginning of staining procedure since the hematoxylin is water based stain!
it seems to me thatyour slides are not enough hydrated, I never heard about sodium chloride solution as a hydrating but I guess cannot harm, however then you put slides in alcohol it's a bit confusing! and 25 seconds is a very short time for any incubation!
beginning of a staining procedure depends on a fixation of the slides! in a case of a wet fixed slides you can proceed directly to staining (95% alcohol) if the slides are wet fixed and then dried you need to rehydrate them before staining and if you have spray fixed slides you need to remove the wax from slides before staining!

my suggestions:
1.
- leave slides in a sodium chloride longer, perhaps 2-3 minutes
- alcohol 95%
- alcohol 70%
- water at least 3 min better 5 minutes, you'll probably need to shorten staining time in hematoxylin to 1 minute because the slides will be better hydrated and ready to accept stain.
- staining time in EA solution is too short to allow proper staining and this is probably the reason to get reddish staining, you should leave the slides in EA 5 minutes since only then the light green will start to stain.
hope this help! do you stain by hand or in a stainer? how often do you change stains and other solutions? you should also be very carefull to have the proper level of all solutions in a dishes! the basic rules is to keep the level of stains bellow the level of rinsing solutions.
let me know about your staining results or even better to send me a picture! sometimes you can get the all redish staining also becouse of improper fixation! you can prepare your proprely fixed slide and stain it to see the results!
best regards!
Irena