[Histonet] Re: bone marrow fixative

Robert Richmond rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 08:05:04 CST 2010

Now that we can no longer use mercury-containing fixatives, I don't
think that the various proprietary fixatives advocated for bone marrow
add anything to the morphology, and some of them can gum up processors
or interfere with immunohistochemistry.

Neutral buffered formalin requires time for fixation - clots need to
be cut up as soon as possible after they're received, and biopsy
specimens really ought to fix overnight before decalcification and
processing. Communication with oncologists is essential (and rarely
achievable).

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN