[Histonet] fume hood

Lynette Pavelich lpaveli1 <@t> hurleymc.com
Tue Jun 15 11:37:04 CDT 2010

Hi Brandi,
Three years ago, our lab was totally renovated.  Clinical and anatomic pathology have become one big room.  The only rooms that are separate are the grossing room (who sports a nifty Mopec 600 grossing w/vented hood system) and the TB lab.  There has been some adjusting for the employees during this time.  The med techs could not tolerate our xylene under any circumstances.  Just changing the solutions in the processor/stainers was a whole new experience for them, much less any minor spill.  In fact, having a minor spill ended up closing the lab for service, but that is another story.  Switching over to xlyene substitute has worked out well after making adjustments.
It sounds like just you and cytology are combined, so I hope that cytology has considered a hood for their non-gyn prep as you just never know about contaminates.  Our cytology area has a great biohazard floor model and is also vented.
In histology, we have a back draft built right into the back of the countertops that helps a lot with our manual special stains, and our automated coverslipper (era 1994) has a cover over it and is tied into the same venting system as the grossing station.

In retrospect, the only changes I wish I would have thought of, was to make sure that the entire venting system has a dedicated electrical hook-up.  Because when the electricity goes down (and it will due to weather or a frisky squirrel), people cannot work in the fumes.  It's amazing how quickly it gets bad.  At first you don't realize it and then everyone starts getting xylene/formalin side affects.  Not pretty.
That's all I can think of and sorry it was long winded!  Try and get the best for you and your people.  Filters are expensive and in my opinion, don't give as good air exchange and a vented system.

Best regards,
Lynette

Lynette Pavelich, HT(ASCP)
Histology Supervisor
MSH Competency Coordinator
Hurley Medical Center
One Hurley Plaza
Flint, MI  48503
email: Lpaveli1 <@t> hurleymc.com
ph:  810-257-9948
Lab:  810-257-9138
fax:  810-762-7082

>>> Rene J Buesa <rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com> 6/15/2010 10:53 AM >>>
Over the counter fumes hood with filters are very effcicient and cheaper than running the vent ducts, especially in a large building.
They also have the advantage that they can be moved to another place if necessary.
Those without a cover are not that efficient.
René J.