[Histonet] IHC edge effect

Dimitri Scholz dimitri.scholz <@t> ucd.ie
Wed Jan 13 12:09:53 CST 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of mesruh
turkekul
Sent: 13 January 2010 17:57
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] IHC edge effect

Dear Colleagues,

In my opinion the edge effect problem has many different components. In each
particular case the reason/reasons for edge effect are different.
Sometimes I observe that the staining intensity gradually decreases towards
the center of the section. In this case I think this is mainly fixation
problem.
I had experienced edge effect with manual as well different automated IHC
staining systems. Sometimes adjacent sections from he same block give
different intensity of edge effect with different antibodies/protocols.
Sometimes the edge effect is due to the trauma caused during
cutting/crossing the specimen before fixation.
Sometimes due to HIER methods or drying of the sections during staining. And
different antibodies/IHC protocols have different sensitivities to all of
the above phenomena that tortures the tissue/section.
All the answers given before to that question are correct.

Regards,
Mesruh Turkekul
Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
New York, NY 10021