[Histonet] Used microtome

Michael Folsom mwfolsom <@t> rgbio.com
Mon Jan 11 11:48:02 CST 2010

Hi:

There are a couple of sources besides the makes and vendors but as
always it is "buyer beware".

eBay - you can go to www.ebay.com and do a search for microtome, right
now they have several for sale.  The good thing about eBay is the
shipping is often reasonable and you can get a good deal.  The bad news
is that things can be way overpriced and the sellers usually don't know
what they are selling and expensive parts can be missing so you really
need to know what you are doing before you buy.

GoIndustry - DoveBid at http://www.go-dove.com/default.asp
This is a very different deal than eBay.  Here you are buying products
that are surplus when a company closes or gets rid of excess equipment.
Please note microtomes are used in ares outside of BioMedical.  For
example companies that fabricate plastic often use microtomes for
testing purposes so you can find them in "unexpected places".  Problem
is that with DoveBid shipping is totally on you - unless you are near
the auction site you will need to pay a shipper to pick the item up,
pack it up and ship it to you.  This can easily cost $300 for a
microtome so you need to know what your are doing plus you  pay a
buyer's premium which can range for 16% to 18%.  I find equipment on
DoveBid is often newer and looks to be in better shape than eBay but it
costs lots more.  Right now DoveBid lists 5 different microtomes:

Shandon Finesse ME
Leica RM2135
Biocut 2035
Reicheit-Jung 2050
Leica RM2155
Leica RM2025

My advice is to take your time and know what you are doing -

Good luck in your search.

Mike
Rio Grande Biological