[Histonet] Gill sectioning tips?

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Tue Feb 9 15:27:52 CST 2010

If with "small" you refer to "juvenile" is different to an "small adult". Both will have supporting material for the gill arches but in "juveniles" they should be easy to section after a good infiltration and using an adequate paraffin wax to meet the tissue resistance.
If you are talking about a small adult, the situation is different because an adult will have more compact support material for the arches.
One solution would be metacrylate infiltration, and another softening of the support tissue before processing.
René J.

--- On Tue, 2/9/10, Cammi Thornton <cehickm2 <@t> olemiss.edu> wrote:

From: Cammi Thornton <cehickm2 <@t> olemiss.edu>
Subject: [Histonet] Gill sectioning tips?
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Date: Tuesday, February 9, 2010, 4:04 PM

Hi everyone,
We have been trying to section gills lately and have come across quite a few problems.  Does anybody have any helpful hints for fixing/sectioning gills?  We are going to try to separate each individual arch but the fish we use are very small so we don't know how that will go.
Thanks,
Cammi

Cammi Hickman Thornton
Research & Development Chemist
University of Mississippi
School of Pharmacy
Department of Pharmacology
200 Old Power Plant
University, Mississippi 38677
Phone - 662-915-7612, Fax - 662-915-5148