[Histonet] Alternatives to BioQuant for Bone Histomorphometry

Liz Chlipala liz <@t> premierlab.com
Sat Feb 6 11:41:52 CST 2010

Adam

I'm not sure if there is anything free out there that will do what you
want to do.  You might want to try Image J or NIH Image those are free.
We perform this type of analysis in Image Pro, but that software is
going to run you about $4000.00.  Also you have to know how to "script"
or program code to create a custom code that will work for your
application. I think that image pro is written in visual basic, so if
you know visual basic you could program your own code.  Since you have a
computer science background you might be able to do this, possibly even
with the BioQuant software.  You need to see if you can get a library
from them.  This will be lists of code, each will perform a specific
task, so you can essentially "script" custom code. That's how we
approach custom analysis here.  Custom code development can take some
time, depending upon how much QC/QA you want to perform to make sure
that your code is capturing the data correctly.

Plus I would not say that the type of analysis you are attempting to
perform is simple.  I'm going to forward your e-mail to our image
analysis guy to see what he has to say, he is more of an expert than I
am on programming code since he is the one who does it for us.

Liz

Manager
Premier Laboratory, LLC
PO Box 18592