[Histonet] EM cacodylate

Morken, Tim Timothy.Morken <@t> ucsfmedctr.org
Mon Dec 20 10:03:08 CST 2010

Peggy, Carson's modification of Millonig's buffer with formalin is great for kidney and any other general EM use for general pathology labs. I used it for many, many years when I worked in EM and it worked just as well as the specialized EM glutaraldehyde fixatives / buffers.

Just look up "Carson millonig" and you'll find several commercial sources. Or, of course, look at Carson's book for the formula.

Tim Morken
Supervisor, Histology, IPOX
UCSF Medical Center
San Francisco, CA, USA

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Lee & Peggy Wenk
Sent: Saturday, December 18, 2010 4:26 AM
To: Histonet
Subject: [Histonet] EM cacodylate

Need some help from Electron Microscopy people.

What is the best substitute for cacodylate buffer (arsenic) when using on kidney and nerve biopsies? Least amount of protein clumping, little to now salt precipitate, good EM resolution?

Thanks in advance.

Peggy A. Wenk, HTL(ASCP)SLS
William Beaumont Hospital
Royal Oak, MI 48073