[Histonet] please enter

Amos Brooks amosbrooks <@t> gmail.com
Sat Aug 14 22:23:45 CDT 2010

Hi,
     If you have a question the best thing to do is ask, so you are on the
right track. I have three really good suggestions for you.
     First speak to your pathologists and try to learn as much as you
possibly can from them about what they are looking for. This will
familiarize you with what you need to know.
     Second, Read your antibody data sheets. Not just the parts of them that
tell you how to do the procedure. Any (good) data sheet that should come
with your antibodies will explain about the antibody, what it is, what it
labels and which disease processes it is used for.
     Finally and very importantly use those autostainer companies until they
get sick of you and then some more. (They like it when you do this ...
really) They have some great literature that should help you. The new Cell
Marque catalog is GREAT, it has images of each antibody on positive tissue,
and great descriptions of each. DAKO has some of the best IHC guides out
there. This is a link to a PDF of their Staining Methods Guide
http://pri.dako.com/08002_ihc_staining_methods_5ed.pdf and they also have
another really good book describing many clinically used antibodies with
great images and descriptions. Unfortunately I can't recall the name of the
book, if anyone can refresh my memory I'd appreciate it. There is a similar
one for special stains.
     Now while I said three suggestions I'll toss in another anyway. The
internet can be very helpful. Wikipedia can be useful for example in answer
to your question about C4d, I found
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complement_component_4

Have a great day,
Amos