[Histonet] Phospho antibodies and fixation

Jean-Martin Lapointe jm.lapointe <@t> accellab.com
Sat Apr 17 15:47:48 CDT 2010

Hi Ashley,
I did a little bit of work on this a few years back. My belief is that the main difficulty with IHC for phospho-epitopes is not formalin fixation per se, but rather the instability of the phosphorylation. I used to work with rodent tumor models, where we collected solid tumors (or other tissues)  just after sacrifice, and fixed them by formalin immersion. We found that the periphery of the tissues fixed this way expressed various phospho-epitopes quite well, but not the center. My interpretation was that by the time formalin had penetrated to the deep regions of the tissue, the phosphorylation had gone away (as you know formalin penetrates solid tissues fairly slowly). We proceeded to test matched tissue samples, fixed either in formalin at room temperature vs. cold formalin (formalin was at 4C at immersion, and the tissue was put in the fridge after sampling). We found that the cold formalin samples expressed phosphorylation sites fairly evenly, compared to only peripheral with the room temp samples. Presumably the cold temperature preserves the phosphorylation sites long enough to leave time for formalin to penetrate throughout. Consequently we integrated cold formalin fixation to all our IHC protocols for phospho-epitopes.
Hope this helps,

Jean-Martin Lapointe
Accellab