[Histonet] the not-yet-mentioned benefit of plants in the lab

Edwards, R.E. ree3 <@t> leicester.ac.uk
Mon Oct 26 10:59:33 CDT 2009

Or how about non-allergenic  silk flowers or  plastic bonsai trees, they  always look the  real thing after a   glass  of red or two...............

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Merced M Leiker
Sent: 26 October 2009 15:49
To: Cheryl; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] the not-yet-mentioned benefit of plants in the lab

So there seem to be 2 trains of thought Histoland regarding plants in the
lab:

1. Plants are GOOD for both physical and psychological health
2. Plants are BAD because they spread fungus and bacteria and allergens.

Soooo....why not include plants that are the least allergenic while taking
measures to limit the contamination they (may) cause?

Just a thought...I love my spider plants and philodendrons...

Regards,
Merced

--On Friday, October 23, 2009 8:12 PM -0700 Cheryl <tkngflght <@t> yahoo.com>
wrote:

> I just read of the plant drama for the lab getting a CAP Phase 1 ding.
> There was a study done ages and ages ago and certain plants IMPROVE the
> air quality in chemically contaminated environments. (If you have any
> measure of our solvents in the air-your air is contaminated even if it
> is an allowable level.) Live plants also increase the amount of
> available oxygen is closed spaces.
> We used to keep a BUNCH of spider plants--one of the most beneficial
> species--in our lab for this reason alone.  We also noticed they were
> quite pretty.  I can only speculate that higher oxygen levels, lower
> chemical presence and a visually relaxing environment would contribute
> far more than an occasional bug might detract.
> Just my two cents (sense?), common as they may be.
>
> Cheryl

Merced M Leiker
Research Technician II
Cardiovascular Medicine
348 Biomedical Research Building
State University of New York at Buffalo
3435 Main St, Buffalo, NY 14214  USA
leiker <@t> buffalo.edu
716-829-6118 (Ph)
716-829-2665 (Fx)

No trees were harmed in the sending of this email.
However, many electrons were severely inconvenienced.