[Histonet] the not-yet-mentioned benefit of plants in the lab

Cheryl tkngflght <@t> yahoo.com
Fri Oct 23 22:12:35 CDT 2009

I just read of the plant drama for the lab getting a CAP Phase 1 ding.  There was a study done ages and ages ago and certain plants IMPROVE the air quality in chemically contaminated environments. (If you have any measure of our solvents in the air-your air is contaminated even if it is an allowable level.) Live plants also increase the amount of available oxygen is closed spaces.

We used to keep a BUNCH of spider plants--one of the most beneficial species--in our lab for this reason alone.  We also noticed they were quite pretty.  I can only speculate that higher oxygen levels, lower chemical presence and a visually relaxing environment would contribute far more than an occasional bug might detract.

Just my two cents (sense?), common as they may be.

Cheryl