FW: [Histonet] Floaters in Waterbath

Thomas Jasper tjasper <@t> copc.net
Fri Oct 23 12:52:29 CDT 2009

One more time.
tj

-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas Jasper
Sent: Friday, October 23, 2009 10:41 AM
To: 'Stella Mireles'
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Floaters in Waterbath

Others may mention this to you...and it can get a little political.  Do
not discount the grossing bench.  Whether it's the work of a PA,
Pathologist, or other qualified lab staff, the grossing bench should be
kept as clean as possible between cases/specimens.  I mention the
political side because sometimes it gets a bit touchy...histologists may
not be in the best position to broach the subject with certain higher
level personnel.  Especially when the grossing may very well be done
under the supervision of said higher level party.

>From a patient care standpoint, etc., this definitely should not be an
ego-bruiser, as we are all human and make mistakes.  But I'm sure most
of you know what I'm talking about and probably have experienced
something similar at sometime in your careers.

One tip I learned from a pathologist, was to keep a clean sponge handy
while grossing.  This helped a lot, especially with keeping forceps
etc., clean in between cases/specimens.  Lastly, there are pathologists
and PAs out there that keep their egos in check and we are thankful to
them.

Tom J.

Thomas Jasper HT (ASCP) BAS
Central Oregon Regional Pathology Services Bend, Oregon 97701
541/693-2677
tjasper <@t> copc.net