[Histonet] Fw: Rene, favor to ask...

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Thu Oct 22 11:48:13 CDT 2009

There you have it!
René J.

ken, Tim <Timothy.Morken <@t> ucsfmedctr.org> wrote:

From: Morken, Tim <Timothy.Morken <@t> ucsfmedctr.org>
Subject: Rene, favor to ask...
To: "rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com" <rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com>
Date: Thursday, October 22, 2009, 12:44 PM

Rene, I have a favor to ask. I am having trouble posting to histonet – it keeps bouncing back, though I am receiving histonet emails.

Could you post this question to histonet for me? I need some answers ASAP.

Thanks!
Hi all,

Our Joint Commission audit was just completed (first time for JC for me). We passed almost everything fine.

The one thing they came up with is that we don’t use “negative controls” for most of the special stains – like trichrome, congo red, etc.
We use negative controls for micro-organism cases but not for the others. In fact I’ve never heard of anyone doing that.

Has anyone had this issue with JC?
Does anyone run “negative” controls for non-organism special stains?
Frankly I’m not sure how that would be done for something like a trichrome or other purely tissue-element stains.
Has anyone successfully explained to JC why we don’t run negative controls for general special stains?

Thanks for any insight!

Tim Morken
Supervisor, Histology / IPOX
UCSF Medical Center