[Histonet] Warthin Faulkner method for spirochaetes

Perry, Margaret Margaret.Perry <@t> sdstate.edu
Wed Oct 21 14:20:55 CDT 2009

We are trying to work up this stain per pathologists special request.  We usually do the Warthin-Starry method not this modification.  I have the published article from Stain Technology Vol. 20 No. 3 July 1945.  The protocol is a little vague and I have some questions?  Step one brings the slides into acetate buffer.  Step  two says “impregnate sections 45 minutes at 55-60˚ C (in paraffin oven) in 1% AGNO3 in water of the same buffer level.  What does water of the same buffer level mean?  We interpret this as the same acetate buffer as in step one.  Is this correct?  Also it says to use
 1 :500 acid gold chloride(HAuCl4.xH2O) to tone.  Can we substitute 0.2%AuCl1?
Thanks for your help.

Margaret Perry
South Dakota State University