[Histonet] re: Oil Red O

Kathleen Jones Kjones <@t> upei.ca
Mon Oct 19 06:50:10 CDT 2009

For my Oil Red O, I prepare a stock solution of 0.3g of Oil Red O and 100ml of Isopropyl alcohol.
For my working solution, I use 6ml of stock Oil Red O and 4ml distilled H2O, let that sit for 10min then filter (stable 1-2hrs).
My procedure is:
Wash sections well in H2O
Quick dip in 60% isopropyl alcohol
Place in working solution for 10-15min
Differentiate in 60% isopropyl alcohol to clear background
Wash in H2O
Counterstain nuclei in Mayer's 3min
Blue in tap H2o
Mount in glycerin jelly

Good Luck!
Kathy

I¹m looking for a protocol for Oil Red O that does not use propylene glycol
to make the Oil Red O.  Does anyone have a protocol that I could use?

Aprill Watanabe, B.S.
Research Associate
Integrated Cancer Genomics Division
Tissue Microarray Center (TMA)
Translational Genomics Research Institute (TGen)
main: 602-343-8822
Fax: 602-343-8840
awatanabe <@t> tgen.org
www.tgen.org