[Histonet] Transporting Formalin

DELIA GARCIA deliadfam <@t> yahoo.com
Tue Oct 13 21:52:57 CDT 2009

We have various shipping addresses with our supplier. Which allows us to order directly for our clients. We incur all costs including the associated Hazardous Materials handling fee. We also use courier for in-town clients. Hope this helps.

Delia Garcia
Lead Histotechnologist
Tucson, AZ
-----Original Message-----
Date: Tuesday, October 13, 2009 1:36:33 pm
To: <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
From: "Feher, Stephen" <sfeher <@t> CMC-NH.ORG>
Subject: [Histonet] Transporting Formalin

Hi gang,

A question came up in a committee meeting today surrounding how other

institutions are transporting quantities of 10% NBF from a main facility

to outlying hospitals and outpatient clinics.  The quantities in

question ranged from 5 - 20 gallons of formalin in sealed carboy type

containers.  Does a main hospital or lab distribute the formalin to

outlying facilities or are outlying facilities having to order direct

from a supplier and bill the main facility?

Some places just order it and transport via courier.  This may be

restricted due to various State EPA rules.  How are you all doing this?

Thanks,

Steve

Stephen A. Feher, MS, SCT (ASCP)

Pathology Supervisor