[Histonet] Folds in tissue

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Mon Oct 12 13:57:30 CDT 2009

Under separate cover I am sending you something I wrote about some Tricks of the Trade about flotation of paraffin sections.
René J.

--- On Mon, 10/12/09, Clare Thornton <CThornton <@t> dahlchase.com> wrote:

From: Clare Thornton <CThornton <@t> dahlchase.com>
Subject: [Histonet] Folds in tissue
To: "'histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu'" <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Date: Monday, October 12, 2009, 2:41 PM

We have been having ongoing issues with microscopic folds in all types of tissue.  On the waterbath, the section looks neat and wrinkle free.  Under the scope, there are many folds that are beginning to interfere with diagnosis.  We notice the folds mostly in skin, although they have appeared in practically every type of tissue.  We have been experimenting with water bath temperature;  cutting on 5 microns vs. 4;  baking upright in a rack or lying flat;  using tissue adhesive (we use Sta-On by Surgipath) or not; and various other factors.  Nothing has really jumped out as being a deciding factor.  Any hints, tips, tricks, or experiments to try?  What have others done when dealing with an issue like this?  Thanks for all your help.

Clare J. Thornton, HTL(ASCP)
Assistant Histology Supervisor
Dahl-Chase Diagnostic Services
417 State Street, Suite 540