[Histonet] CHARGING FOR SLIDES TO BE CUT AND SENT OUT FOR LEGAL, MEDICAL PURPOSES

Vacca Jessica Jessica.Vacca <@t> HCAhealthcare.com
Wed Oct 7 10:56:57 CDT 2009

I would like to know how you went about establishing the search fee, there are many times that these legal companies like Litigation management, Record trak, central records depository that just do a mass letter requesting records, and there is no pathology to be found, then they ask for you to sign and motorize their documents. I would absolutely love to tell them that there is a fee to search. Who established the fee your legal department or the lab?
We charge 50 for the case, 10 per block after the first block, and 25 for additional cases with the 10 fee still applying for each additional block.

Jessica Vacca
Histology Supervisor
Brandon Regional Hospital
119 Oakfield Dr
Brandon Fl 33511
(813) 571-5193
(813) 571-5169 FAX

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Smith Wanda
Sent: Wednesday, October 07, 2009 10:47 AM
To: srishan <@t> mail.holyname.org; histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] CHARGING FOR SLIDES TO BE CUT AND SENT OUT FOR LEGAL, MEDICAL PURPOSES

Good Morning to All,
I have developed a fee schedule for legal cases and I have a form letter that I send to the offices before any slides are sent.  We only furnish 1 H&E and 2 unstained slides per block, if tissue is adequate.  We never send original slides and we never send blocks.  My charges are:
$25.00 for looking up the case and up to 5 copies
$12.50 per slide and a minimum of 3 slides per block
They pay any shipping other than US mail.  Sometimes the lawyer's office only wants reports and sometimes I have received checks for up to $375.00.

If a patient or institution request blocks for Continuation of Care, we either send the original slides with a request for them to be returned or we do recuts at no charge to the patient or the requesting institution.
Hope this helps!!!
Wanda

WANDA G. SMITH, HTL(ASCP)HT
Pathology Supervisor
TRIDENT MEDICAL CENTER
9330 Medical Plaza Drive
Charleston, SC  29406
843-847-4586
843-847-4296 fax

This email and any files transmitted with it may contain PRIVILEGED or CONFIDENTIAL information and may be read or used only by the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient of the email or any of its attachments, please be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use, dissemination, distribution, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email or any attached files is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please immediately purge it and all attachments and notify the sender by reply email or contact the sender at the number listed.