[Histonet] time in paraffin and fried bloody specimen

DKBoyd <@t> chs.net DKBoyd <@t> chs.net
Mon Oct 5 11:11:54 CDT 2009

Nancy,
Tissue should be processed @ between 60-62 degrees centigrade.  We have
three paraffin baths.  The 1st bath is set for 45 mins, the 2cd and 3rd
are for 1 hour each.  This is for large specimens.  Small specimens are
for 30 mins. the first two baths and 45 mins for the last.  It is very
true that too much time in paraffin causes hard tissue.  Remember the
whole time the tissue is setting in paraffin it is being exposed to heat.
Your second question:  Have the specimen transferred from the lens paper
it arrived in and put on a new piece which has been moistened with
formalin.  Sometimes in surgery the lens paper is wet with saline.
If it is a scant amount process with your Endoscopic biopsies. Too long in
your alcohols will over dehydrate the specimen.
Hope this helps.

Debbie M. Boyd, HT(ASCP) I Chief Histologist I Southside Regional Medical
Center I
200 Medical Park Boulevard I Petersburg, Va.  23805 I T: 804-765-5050 I F:
804-765-5582 I dkboyd <@t> chs.net

Nancy Schmitt <nancy_schmitt <@t> pa-ucl.com>
Sent by: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
10/05/2009 11:07 AM

"Histonet (histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu)"
cc

Subject
[Histonet] time in paraffin and fried bloody specimen

Good Morning Histonetters-

First question:  Textbook says "tissue should remain in paraffin the
shortest time necessary for good infiltration because exposure to
prolonged heat causes shrinkage and hardening".  Can anyone define
"exposure to prolonged heat"?  Is that an hour? Three hours?  Sitting in
the paraffin waiting to be drained.  I would appreciate some insight on
this.
Second question:  Endom, POC tissue, even some sinus contents arrive
wrapped in lens paper.  These bloody specimens are fried (for lack of a
better word) and almost impossible to separate from the lens paper.  Is
there something different we or the PA can be doing differently or just
the nature of the tissue.

Thanks for your help!
Nancy

NOTICE: This email may contain legally privileged information. The
information
is for the use of only the intended recipient(s) even if addressed
incorrectly. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the
sender
that you have received it in error and then delete it along with any
attachments. Thank you.