[Histonet] time in paraffin and fried bloody specimen

Nancy Schmitt nancy_schmitt <@t> pa-ucl.com
Mon Oct 5 10:06:31 CDT 2009

Good Morning Histonetters-

First question:  Textbook says "tissue should remain in paraffin the shortest time necessary for good infiltration because exposure to prolonged heat causes shrinkage and hardening".  Can anyone define "exposure to prolonged heat"?  Is that an hour? Three hours?  Sitting in the paraffin waiting to be drained.  I would appreciate some insight on this.
Second question:  Endom, POC tissue, even some sinus contents arrive wrapped in lens paper.  These bloody specimens are fried (for lack of a better word) and almost impossible to separate from the lens paper.  Is there something different we or the PA can be doing differently or just the nature of the tissue.

Thanks for your help!
Nancy

NOTICE: This email may contain legally privileged information. The information
is for the use of only the intended recipient(s) even if addressed
incorrectly. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender
that you have received it in error and then delete it along with any
attachments. Thank you.