[Histonet] Brain Frozen sections

Anne van Binsbergen annigyg <@t> gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 23:38:06 CDT 2009

Hi Histonetters
we are having INTERMITTENT problems with brain frozens

all conditions are the same ie. same tech, same cryostat, same freezing
technique - sometimes there is freezing artefact in the sections and
sometimes the sections look like they were cut from an FFPE block!!

unfortunately not all our pathologists are confident to make an IOC
diagnosis on a smears so we are forced to resort to freezing.
my tech is very experieince and says she can almost predict when looking at
the tissue, that there will be artefact on the sections.

pathologists are insisting on the FZ but complaining bitterly at the
freezing artefact.
I suspect the surgeon may be 'flooding' the tissue with saline but unless we
breathe down their necks we cannot possibly know what goes on in the OR!

All other frozens are fine - its just the very small neuro ones we are
having a problem with and it is driving us to distraction - well, actually
the Pathologists are doing that!!

we are using cryospray, gently sprayed onto the tissue, which is
covered with a small drop of fresh OCT, on top of an already frozen button
of OCT which is kept in the cryostat
there is no problem with other frozen sections, on other tissues, prepared
in exactly the same way

 any and all observations/recommendations/suggestions will be greatfully
accepted
TIA
--
Anne van Binsbergen (Hope)