AW: [Histonet] rhodanin stain fading

Gudrun Lang gu.lang <@t> gmx.at
Sun Nov 22 02:46:47 CST 2009

Thank you for answering,

I use the right compound, but as a lazy girl I wrote the short name. But you
are absolutely right, precision should also be important with the
terminology in histotechnic.

Next time I will try the aqueous mounting media. I took the procedure from
your book, but did the mistake to exchange the mounting media.

Gudrun Lang

  _____

Von: John Kiernan [mailto:jkiernan <@t> uwo.ca]
Gesendet: Sonntag, 22. November 2009 07:33
An: Rena Fail
Cc: gu.lang <@t> gmx.at; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Betreff: Re: [Histonet] rhodanin stain fading

Rena is right. Published methods prescribe aqueous mounting media. This
probably is the most sensitive histochemical staining method for detecting
copper. See Irons et al 1977 Arch. Path. Lab. Med. 101:298-301.

The histochemical reagent for copper is not rhodanine (which exists but
would not stain copper deposits) or rhodanin (which does not exist). It is
paradimethylaminobenzylidenerhodanine. It's indexed as a D in the catalogues
of vendors of chemicals. There is no short name for this reagent and
technique. This is not a pedantic gripe. You need to have the right compound
and also the right instructions for the technique.

John Kiernan

Anatomy, UWO

London, Canada

= = =