[Histonet] Cryostat decontamination...

Liz Chlipala liz <@t> premierlab.com
Mon Nov 16 13:34:33 CST 2009

>From what I understand if you require that an individual wear a N95
respirator when they are sectioning frozen sections then you are also
required to have that respirator fit tested yearly.

We are a research lab that does quite a bit of work on TB samples.  We
do not section TB infected samples on a cryostat.  All samples that we
receive have been fixed in 10% NBF for several days and then transferred
to 70% alcohol.  When I was in a clinical lab, we would not section
frozen sections of lung samples if they wanted to rule out TB, the
pathologist would recommend to process to paraffin first.  In fact since
the samples are generated in a biosafety level 2 or 3 facility, they can
not leave that facility unless the samples have been fixed and rendered
non infectious.  Frozen sections would need to be prepared within that
biosafety facility with all of the appropriate PPE's in place.  The
University that we work with has tested these samples via culture after
their fixation and alcohol procedure.  We do however offer the N95
respirator to the techs and they can wear it if they want to, when they
are grossing, embedding or sectioning these samples.  But since it is
voluntary we do not have to fit test, we have a specific procedure that
covers this.  This protocol has been developed with the help of our
local OSHA rep.  The other thing is we use a special vacumme with a hepa
filter to vacume up the paraffin trimmings.  OSHA has a program for
small businesses and will work with them to make sure that they are
within compliance, they have been very helpful to us here.  Just go to
the OSHA website.

Liz

Manager
Premier Laboratory, LLC