AW: [Histonet] Recycling Formalin for Fresh Tissue

Gudrun Lang gu.lang <@t> gmx.at
Thu May 28 12:34:45 CDT 2009

Just for interest. Your lab takes the recycled formalin to make 4% neutral
buffered formalin (NBF)? Or do they ship the recycled formalin directly in
bottles to the surgery?
AFB = acid fast bacili?

Do you have concerns, that they produce false-positive AFB stains? I cannot
imagine, that a (hopefully) small number of dead bacili on the surface of
tissue will pretend this. An other question: Isn't there a filter in the
recycler to prevent such contamination?
Gudrun

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] Im Auftrag von
akemiat3377 <@t> yahoo.com
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 28. Mai 2009 18:14
An: Histonet
Betreff: [Histonet] Recycling Formalin for Fresh Tissue

Good Morning Histo Land,

I am asking all you out there to give me your input on recycIing formalin.
I realize this has been discussed in the not too distant past, but this may
be a little different situation.  I realize some labs are recycling formalin
to put on their tissue processors, but this is a totally different scenario.

I have been a manager at my lab for only a month.  Much to my surprise, I
just found out yesterday that our lab is recycling formalin and shipping it
out to one of our clients to put their FRESH SPECIMENS into.

I just had a lengthy conversation with Robert Lott the day before yesterday,
regarding pre-analytical protocol's effecting the test results of AFB.  By
the way, we were in full agreement.  This formalin issue was unknown to me
then.  I realize that the pre-analytical, pre-analytical, pre-analytical,
process effects the final out come.  I need to present my case to our
Director of Pathology why this is compromising patient care.

Any and all responses are gladly welcome.

Thanks,
Akemi

Akemi Allison-Tacha BS, HT (ASCP) HTL
Histology Manager
Associated Pathology Medical Group Laboratories
105A Cooper Ct. Los Gatos, CA 95032
Cell: 425.941.4287
W: E-Mail: aallison-tacha <@t> apmglab.com
P: E-Mail: akemiat3377 <@t> yahoo.com