[Histonet] Gross photography/macrophotography

Geoff McAuliffe mcauliff <@t> umdnj.edu
Wed May 20 16:15:00 CDT 2009

Most digital cameras from the well-known manufacturers (Nikon, Canon,
Pentax, Olympus) will be fine for gross photography. An single lens
reflex (SLR) type of camera with interchangable lenses is ideal but I
suggest NOT buying the zoom lens in a "kit" but buy camera body and a
macro lens that will allow close focusing. The macro lens should have a
focal length of 90 mm or longer to allow for comfortable working
distances. One example would be a Nikon D5000 and a 105 mm Micro Nikor
lens. Instead of the Nikor lens a Tamron 90 mm lens is half as expensive
and will give fine results. A digital SLR + macro lens will be over
$1000. Even a small "point and shoot" camera will do the job. I
photograph gross anatomy exams with a little Canon I can fit in my pocket.

Do not be misled by the "megapixel wars", more megapixels does not make
a better camera. The lens and the processor are just as important. I'm
sure there is a professional level camera store (not Best Buy) in Dallas
that can help you make a decision.

Geoff

--
--