[Histonet] RE: Question about DAB waste

Weems, Joyce JWeems <@t> sjha.org
Wed May 13 08:17:04 CDT 2009

We had ours analyzed by our Hazardous Waste Disposal Co. They provide
labels for the drums. We have a drum for the waste from the special
stains, the DAB waste, and the xylene waste from the recycler - labels
all provided by the disposal company. j

Joyce Weems
Pathology Manager
Saint Joseph's Hospital
5665 Peachtree Dunwoody Rd NE
Atlanta, GA 30342
678-843-7376 - Phone
678-843-7831 - Fax

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Carol
Bryant
Sent: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 9:12 AM
To: Smith, Allen; Jennifer Campbell
Cc: Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] RE: Question about DAB waste

On this subject at our recent CAP inspection a question came up about
the labeling of the waste containers that held the DAB waste from our
Ventana stainer.  We had the container labeled as "Hazardous Chemical
Waste".  We also keep it in a large plastic carboy which our maintenance
dept. then empties into a large metal can that is picked up by a
hazardous waste disposal company as the cans become full.  The inspector
insisted that the waste container itself from our Ventana stainer should
have listed every chemical that could possibly be in the waste.
How are the DAB waste containers labeled at other facilities?
Thank you,
Carol
Confidentiality Notice:
This email, including any attachments is the
property of Catholic Health East and is intended
for the sole use of the intended recipient(s).
It may contain information that is privileged and
confidential.  Any unauthorized review, use,
disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you are
not the intended recipient, please reply to the
sender that you have received the message in
error, then delete this message.