[Histonet] question regarding rules for disposal of slides & cassettes

Swain, Frances L SwainFrancesL <@t> uams.edu
Mon Mar 23 07:17:30 CDT 2009

Hi Jenee:  You need to check the histonet archieves.  For the last two weeks there has been an on going conversation in regard to disposal of microscopic slides.  Since I am in a COR lab most of my slides are sent to the PI's that order the slides therefore I do not have to deal with this as of yet.  But some folks put there in sharps containers or boxes which are labeled sharps some have other methods.  Check it out

Frances L. Swain HT(ASCP) A. A. S.
Special Procedures Technician
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
Center for Orthopaedic Research
Barton Research Building 2R28
4301 West Markham Street
Little Rock AR 72205
(501) 686-8739 PHONE
(501) 686-8987 FAX
swainfrancesl <@t> uams.edu email
-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Jenee.S.Odani <@t> hawaii.gov
Sent: Friday, March 20, 2009 3:21 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] question regarding rules for disposal of slides & cassettes

Not sure why we don't already have a policy for this, but my
histotechnologist wanted me to find out how to properly dispose of
stained/coverslipped slides and cassetes with FFPE tissue. Our lab only
processes animal tissue (no TSE material). I tried searching the internet,
but didn't find anything.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
-J

Jenee S. Odani, D.V.M., Dipl. ACVP
Veterinary Medical Officer
Hawaii State Veterinary Laboratory/DAI
99-941 Halawa Valley Street, Aiea, HI, 96701
Phone: (808) 483-7131/Fax: (808) 483-7110