[Histonet] RE: Paraffin block trimming device - the cheap method

gayle callis gayle.callis <@t> bresnan.net
Thu Mar 19 11:53:15 CDT 2009

We coveted the ParaTrimmer for years, but could not afford to buy one.  We
simply use a smaller size laboratory metal hot plate, propped it into a
metal pan so the hot plate is at an  angle suitable to allow the melted
paraffin to run onto paper towels in the pan.  This is one hot plate we
donate to trashing by melted paraffin, and the cost is minimal compared to
the Paratrimmer.  Just make sure the hot plate does not tip over and set the
temperature to not burn fingers but still melt paraffin.  We now "melt trim"
blocks (front, sides and top) if excess paraffin exists prior to facing
blocks on microtome.

This has saved fingers from severe cuts particularly after one tech cut his
finger with a razor blade.  After many years of microtomy, trimming paraffin
from blocks using dull solid scalpel blades became a difficult and painful
task for old, stiff, sore finger joints.

If one can trim blocks with a blade of some type, that works but eventually
one ends up with osteoarthritic finger joints like me and the need for
something efficient and fast.

Gayle M. Callis

HTL(ASCP)HT,MT

Bozeman MT 59715